Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Broomstick Knitting

One day when I was young, (?12) we went for a drive in the country. Maybe Maldon? I really can't remember. I do remember being very exited about buying a pair of broomstick knitting needles. They came with a book:


It was published in 1978 so I must have been 12 or older. I don't remember if I ever made anything. Actually, I seem to remember I made a string bag out of brown jute or wool. Mum might remember. Anyway, the needles have long been thrown away. Such a shame!! I've since bought some 15mm needles that do the trick. I've made a couple of scarves with. They have been so quick to knit up and they make the wool go further. Now I am trying the scarf pattern out of the book:
( I love the hand drawn pictures used in the book.)I'm going to use some pink hand spun wool I picked up from the Pascoe Vale Spinners and Weavers Exhibition last year and have decided it is a bit scratchy for anything else. I'm just not sure I have enough wool. I'll show it to you when I've finished. Have you tried broomstick knitting? Do you know, they even have a pattern for a hammock and a fly screen? Included is instructions on how to make the needles too. What a fabulous book! I wonder if Ron and Mandi Heath are still around?

1 comment:

JennyB said...

I for one cannot wait to see what the Broomstick knitter creates Miss Bron....Hurry up with the pictures please! xxxx